I think that's possible. For example processing an excel file with POI, in
your form you choose the file, then submit form and in the action you
process the excel file with POI libraries, you edit the excel file with
something like adding rows or something like that, then you write the stream
of the excel file at the end of the method and returning null from your
action method, then it will appear in the form the dialog box to download
excel file. That's an example with an excel file, but i think that you can
do the process with another file type.