In context of the other two examples, you're right; I should have used
something like

var foo = <s:property value="%{foo.foobar}"/>; //int, boolean, etc.

instead to be more clear.  The lack of quotes was deliberate, though ... you
wouldn't want to quote a numeric value when you're setting it up that way.

-Brian