I do not use the value attribute in my s:select tags & they work fine.

I do always use the headerKey & headerValue attributes though.

Incidentally, the preselected (user-selected) key value is taken (stored)
using the name attribute so in your example your SelectAction should define
"bla" and provide setter & getter for same.

- Bill