I think the answer would depend of what your model objects look like.

If your Catalog object have 2 boolean variables (active and primary)
then holding a Map<CatalogPrimaryKey,Catalog> on your action (session
scoped) is a straightforward solution. (name your checkbox
"catalogMap[pk].active" and "catalogMap[pk].primary")

If this is not the case, then your action could hold 2
Map<CatalogPrimaryKey,Boolean> activeMap and primaryMap, and naming
your checkboxes like "activeMap[key]" will do.