You might look into using the Preparable interface [1].  It's useful for
these types of situations; just add the code to generate the list into a
prepare() method on your action class instead of in execute().

Hope this helps,

-Brian

[1] -
http://www.opensymphony.com/xwork/api/com/opensymphony/xwork2/Preparable.html