Hi Jake,

I have a custom table tag that needs Value Stack access, too.
Here's how I do it:

package...

import org.apache.struts2.views.jsp.TagUtils;
import org.apache.struts2.util.MakeIterator;

public class TableTag extends SimpleTagSupport
{
    private String list;

    public void doTag() throws JspException
    {
        ValueStack stack = TagUtils.getStack((PageContext)getJspContext());
        Iterator iterator = MakeIterator.convert(stack.findValue(list));
            while (iterator.hasNext())
            {

    public void setList(String list)
    {
        this.list = list;

Of course "list" is one of my custom tag's attributes and appropriately
defined in my TLD.

Cheers,
Bill