if your security is simple - fixed roles to access certain actions...

i created a custom role interceptor added it to the interceptor stack and then
just added struts.xml definitions with

         <interceptor-ref name="stackWithRoles">
          <param name="customRole.allowedRoles">member</param>
         </interceptor-ref>

the allowedRoles value can be comma separated to allow multiple roles, then
struts will check whether the user has this role (by calling interceptor) and
if not will not allow them to access the action.

only coding is creating the interceptor.

ps. my user is kept in the session as are their roles once logged in.

adam