I'm sure your problem is related to themes/templates.

If you are using simple theme you have to provide your own labels for fields, so the field validation works and S2 knows where to place the messages (because you know validation happens, it's just the messages not displaying, right?).

check http://struts.apache.org/2.1.8.1/docs/themes-and-templates.html

although... btw, it's been more than a week since I can't see code examples in S2 2.1.8.1 guides, anyone knows why?