On 5/18/10 12:35 PM, Ken wrote:
What I don't understand is I have an object who's constructor needs
session data...
So it calls:
Map session = ActionContext.getContext().getSession();

But session is always null...

http://struts.apache.org/2.1.8.1/struts2-core/apidocs/com/opensymphony/xwork2/ActionContext.html#getContext()

Explains that this static method works by looking up the value in a ThreadLocal: "Returns the ActionContext specific to the current thread."

So if that constructor is happening within the same thread in which the request was originally being processed, and after xwork finishes setting up that context, it should work:

"The ActionContext is thread local which means that values stored in the ActionContext are unique per thread. See the ThreadLocal class for more information."

But random code in a random thread occurring at a random time cannot rely on ActionContext.getContext().

I'd check out the *Aware interfaces if I were you.

-Dale