Searching I found something to the effect "did you change the rendering
mode to css"... and then the OP went on his way...
Where is this switch flicked?

Oh, just because I've got inertia found the answer in "Struts 2 in
Action", but was looking user the wrong headings... I'm going to answer
my own question:
1) Create the file "struts.properties" in the class path.
2) add the line (well it's css_xhtml in my case anyways...):
struts.ui.theme=css_xhtml

Note the default properties are defined in default.properties at
org.apache.struts2, creating this file lets you override what you want.
>From searching google, it seems obvious to the rest of the world but
maybe this will help some other super newbie.