Stephen,

i know it is a spring xml file. i can tell that with the <bean
id="transactionManager".../> element, they are defining a transaction
manager. however, what does <tx:annotation-driven transaction-manager
.../> do? to me, intuitively, it defines a transaction manager that
will process by annotations.

the tutorial that gives this applicationContext.xml shows us how to
get things working, but doesn't really explain in detail "why" we are
doing what we are doing. that's kind of what i meant.