Maybe this will help.

The Page Encoding is separate and distinct from the URI encoding.  On
a GET the parameters are encoded according to the URI encoding (not
the page encoding).

If you are using Tomcat then you need to specify the URI encoding on
the Connector in the server.xml file.

Example:

    <Connector port="80" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               enableLookups="false" redirectPort="443"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               URIEncoding="UTF-8"/>

If you are using a different container then you will need to lookup
how URI encoding is configured for your container.