I was trying to use the json plugin that's bundled with struts but I'm running into a few snags. Firstly, I like using annotations whenever possible so this is what my struts.xml looks like:

<struts>
   <constant name="struts.devMode" value="true" />
<!-- Declare global results in this package --> <package name="my-default" extends="json-default"> <global-results> <result name="login" type="redirect">/authenticate/login-page</result>
           <result name="error">/error/error.html</result>
       </global-results>

       <global-exception-mappings>
           <exception-mapping exception="java.lang.Exception"
               result="error" />
       </global-exception-mappings>
   </package>

   <!-- Secure results use this package -->
   <package name="my-secure" extends="my-default">
       <interceptors>
<interceptor name="authenticationInterceptor" class="interceptors.AuthenticationInterceptor" />
           <interceptor-stack name="secureStack">
               <interceptor-ref name="authenticationInterceptor" />
               <interceptor-ref name="defaultStack" />
           </interceptor-stack>
       </interceptors>
       <default-interceptor-ref name="secureStack" />
   </package>
</struts>

You'll notice that my main package, extends json-default. I did this because a) I assume json-default extended struts-default and b) Since I want to use annotations I don't want to have to make a whole package for the few actions that are going to be serialized.
Then in my action class I have this:

@Result(name="success",type="json")

That way, this is the only class that will serialize.

I'm getting a weird error though when I start up my server:
Caused by: Unable to locate parent package [my-secure] - [unknown location]

my-secure is the name of the other package. If I go back to not using json-default, and just extend struts-default in my-default, it works.