If that's actually a cut-n-paste job from the files, I can see the error, if
you retyped it, it's probably just a typo.  But, you have a close tag after
the s:param and before it's arguments, which is making it invalid, and would
definitely cause the JSP processor to puke.  Try the below instead:
  (*Chris*)

<s:text name="format.currency"><s:param value="price"/></s:text>