On Today at 2:22pm, GL=>Greg Lindholm <greg.lindh...@gmail.com> wrote:

GL> Is there any issues with running Struts1 and Struts2 together in the
GL> same application?

Hi Greg,

My organization uses an application with struts1 and struts2 together
with no downsides that we can see.

There is no real payback in converting the old parts of the application
from struts1, so any new code is written in struts2.

The only pain point is having to construct links when switching from one
part of the app (struts1) to the other part of the app (struts2) and
vice-versa as one technology is not aware of the other's tags.

Cheers,

GL> I have a couple old Struts1 applications which I plan on converting to
GL> Struts2 over time, but would like to start doing new development in
GL> Struts2 immediately while converting the Struts1 screens and action
GL> over bit-by-bit as needed.
GL>
GL> I haven't worked with Struts1 for many years.
GL>
GL> A quick look at the components makes me think I can run both 1 & 2 together.
GL>
GL> Java packages:
GL> s1) org.apache.struts
GL> s2) org.apache.struts2
GL>
GL> web.xml
GL> s1) a Servlet (ActionServlet) mapped to *.do
GL> s2) a Filter mapped to *.action (and others)
GL>
GL> Action extensions:
GL> s1) *.do  (from web.xml)
GL> s2) *.action  (from we.xml)
GL>
GL> Config files:
GL> s1) /WEB-INF/struts-config.xml  (from web.xml config param)
GL> s2) /WEB-INF/classes/struts.xml  (can this be explicitly configured?)
GL>
GL> Questions:
GL>
GL> - Is there any know issues with running Struts1 and Struts2 together
GL> in the same application?
GL> - Has anyone done this successfully? Any advice?
GL> - S1 app uses /WEB-INF/validation.xml and validator-rules.xml, will
GL> these cause any conflict with S2?
GL>
GL> Greg

Haroon Rafique
<haroon.rafi...@utoronto.ca>