OP :-

I thought when the input field name contained [] that struts effectively
replaced them with () - so in my input field

user[0].name

for example, would become getUser(0).setName(...) etc..

I checked the list object contains elements and it does (i retrieve them before
the update page is displayed and stored in the session - the get/set of the
list object accesses the session to retrieve the object), i also included a
system out in the getUser(int occ) method and it never gets called so its not
because the getUser(0) returns null or the list is null.

i've had this before and i took the params off the request myself in the action
and updated the list - just thought i'd try and get to the bottom of it this
time.

i think it must be down to the input names i'm using or the methods i need to
have available to the params interceptor to call.

adam