Here is the portion from the struts configuration:
struts-warranty.xml

<action
  name="ajaxWarrantyItemsAcList"
  class="com.setech.dw.warranty.web.WarrantyAssignmentItemAjaxAction">
  <result name="success" type="json">
  </result>
</action>

The ajax action class looks like this:

public class WarrantyAssignmentItemAjaxAction extends BaseAction
{
  private List<Item> itemsList;

  public List<Item> getItemsList() {
    Return itemsList;
  }

  // other stuff removed from breavity
}

I always map the root object to the property I want returned for each
AJAX call because I have noticed that JSON complains should it try to
serialize things such as my service objects and so on.

I did notice that because a few objects within the graph have cyclic
redundancy that JSONWriter logged a few messages about that before it
finally puked so I'm not sure if because my object graph has these
circular references if that is creating problems for it or not.

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolingDataSource$PoolGuardConnectionWrappe