Can a Struts 2 interceptor change/add a request or session parameter?

I'm trying to write a Struts 2 Exception Handler which is executed whenever
there is an uncaught exception. To do that, I plan to use a custom
interceptor based on the existing Struts 2 ExceptionMappingInterceptor. My
custom interceptor needs to be able to send customized text to a jsp page
which is displayed to the user. For example, a unique incidentId number will
be displayed on the jsp page.

Inside my intercept method, I can access the AccessInvocation's
InvocationContext which contains the following methods:

Map - getParameters()
Map - getSession()
void - put(key, value)
Object - get(key)

I tried modifying the Map returned by getParameters() and getSession(). I
also tried using put(key, value). However, my changes were not visible on
the jsp page when I used these methods.

Is it possible to modify a request or session variable from an interceptor?
Is there a better way to load dynamic information into a struts
global-exception-mapping error page?