Hi Brian,
I have just installed the deb packages for 2.0.0-M4 onto an Ubuntu 14.04 LTS box, then configured an Active Directory connector and resource as close as possible to the screenshots you've posted before.

The result is that I can pull all defined users and groups from Active Directory.

I have posted my configuration at https://paste.apache.org/w5BN

If you want to test with that, you'll need to:

1. download and save as MasterContent.xml
2. sudo service tomcat8 stop
3. sudo su - postgres -c "dropdb syncope && createdb syncope"
4. sudo cp MasterContent.xml /var/lib/tomcat8/webapps/syncope/WEB-INF/classes/domains/MasterContent.xml
5. sudo service tomcat8 start

Essentially, you're stopping Tomcat, wiping out your Syncope internal storage and populating it with my configuration.

Once the Syncope admin console is available again, go into Topology > AD (connector) and replace my hostname / admin credentials / etc with yours.

Then, check that "explore resource" is still working.

Finally, execute the pull task (first dry-run, then for real): I hope that you are now able to see everything worked fine, and you've got users and groups as I did.

If all this does not work, you might be incurring in some bugs related to user / group names with unicode characters that we have fixed after releasing 2.0.0-M4.
If this is the case, an option is to give a try to 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT debs:

https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/syncope/syncope-deb-core/2.0.0-SNAPSHOT/syncope-deb-core-2.0.0-20160727.192304-684.deb
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/syncope/syncope-deb-console/2.0.0-SNAPSHOT/syncope-deb-console-2.0.0-20160727.192239-686.deb
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/syncope/syncope-deb-enduser/2.0.0-SNAPSHOT/syncope-deb-enduser-2.0.0-20160727.192337-420.deb

HTH
Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC,
CXF Committer, OpenJPA Committer, PonyMail PPMC
http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/