Hi Michael,

Yes - that is indeed an error regarding the version of protobuf that needs to
be used. Pretty much all of the Hadoop ecosystem components have standardized
on protobuf-2.5.0. Newer versions would likely have worked assuming protobuf
retained compatibility.

In any case, you do need to switch back to protobuf-2.5.0. Modifying the pom
would have likely fixed the build issue with Tez but you would have ended up
facing errors when trying on a cluster as hadoop needs 2.5.0.

Could you file a jira and submit a patch for this issue ( and if you came
across any other confusing/unclear items in the documentation )?

thanks
— Hitesh