From: Ken Krugler [mailto:kkrugler_li...@transpac.com]
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2015 7:21 PM
To: user@tika.apache.org
Subject: RE: robust Tika and Hadoop

Hi Tim,

When we use Tika with Bixo (https://github.com/bixo/bixo/) we wrap it with a
TikaCallable
(https://github.com/bixo/bixo/blob/master/src/main/java/bixo/parser/TikaCallable.java)

This lets us orphan the parsing thread if it times out
(https://github.com/bixo/bixo/blob/master/src/main/java/bixo/parser/SimpleParser.java#L187)

And provides a bit of protection against things like NoSuchMethodErrors that
can be thrown by Tika if the mime-type detection code tries to use a parser
that we exclude, in order to keep the Hadoop job jar size to something
reasonable.

-- Ken