Hello Nicholas,

The PDF you link to has a decent title in its metadata, but if it isn't
there, i would not rely on the first N characters of the content, as it is
very unreliable. You can find all kinds of bad markup right at the start of
PDFs.

But there is a choice, you can still use the raw filename, which is fine in
most cases, and usually prettier to read than the first N characters.
Another trick is to use the most common hyperlink anchor, which is most of
the times very readable and descriptive.

Regards,
Markus