Hi Tim,
On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 8:28 PM Tim Allison <talli...@apache.org> wrote:

> Argh, sorry for my delay.
>
> Y, tika server is built on Apache CXF.  Threading per request happens at
> the CXF level, not the Tika level.
>
> With pipes, you can control how many spawned processes are available to
> serve your requests, but that does add some complexity -- learning curve to
> configure.
>
> > I am guessing there is a particular memory hungry file format and
> several of them are handled in parallel.
> That's one of the key design goals with pipes -- one file per process at a
> time.  With traditional tika-server or with the watchdog/forked stuff (the
> default in 2.x), if you're sending files in concurrently and one of them
> crashes the server, you don't know which file was the culprit.
>
> Out of the box, Tika server uses the watchdog set up and not pipes.

I would certainly want to transition to pipes, looks like exactly what we
need. Actually are there any downsides to making that default?
We are using the Docker image, is it possible to pass the Docker image a
tika-config.xml file to default to pipes? If there is any documentation
related to this, I am interested in trying it out.

> >I guess there are no known SLAs from Tika’s watchdog kicking in, this is
> what I was asking. I don’t know how it is implemented.
> It is really simple.  The monitor/watchdog main process spawns a child
> process which is the actual server.  The watchdog does pulse checks of the
> spawned process and if it goes oom or crashes, the watchdog restarts it.
> The watchdog does no monitoring for memory consumption but relies on the
> -Xmx that's configured.

In this case it really looks puzzling how a Tika server configured with
-Xmx3g can reach >6GB. Sounds like this is a bug and I will need to find a
way to reproduce it.

Thanks,
Cristi