On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Simon Nash <n...@apache.org> wrote:
> Millies, Sebastian wrote:
>>
>> Hello there,
>>

>> Tuscany 1.6 depends on Apache Commons HttpClient 3.1.
>>

>> Is there any chance of upgrading this to Apache HttpComponents
>>
>> HttpClient (currently 4.1.1)?
>>

>> Is it really necessary to have the dependency in Tuscany at all?
>>

>> Best,
>>
>> Sebastian
>>

> Hi Sebastian,
> This dependency is necessary because HttpClient is used by the Java code
> in a number of Tuscany modules:
>  binding-atom-abdera
>  binding-feed
>  binding-gdata-runtime
>  binding-jsonp-runtime
>  binding-ws-axis2
> To upgrade this dependency, the pom.xml files in these modules would need
> to be changed to use the newer version, and the newer version would need
> to be verified for compatibility by doing a complete top-level build.
>
> The commons-httpclient dependency also appears in the following poms:
>  modules/binding-rss-rome
>  samples/simple-bigbank-spring
> There's no use of httpclient in the Java code for these modules, so it
> should be OK to remove the dependency from these poms.
>
> The 3.1 level of commons-httpclient is used by Axis2 1.4.1.  It would
> be necessary to add explicit exclusions for this in all the Tuscany poms
> that have an Axis2 1.4.1 dependency, and add the newer version to these
> poms as an explicit dependency.  It would also be necessary to verify
> that Axis2 1.4.1 works correctly with the newer version.  This could be
> quite a lot of work.
>
> The binary distribution build would need to be changed to exclude the
> commons-httpclient-3.1 jar file (brought in as a dependency of Axis2)
> and add the newer HttpClient jar instead.  Then the binary distribution
> would need to be tested fully to make sure that it still works correctly.
>
> Finally the LICENSE file in the distribution module would need to be
> updated.  I think that's everything, but I might have missed something.
>
> Would you like to try doing this, and then create a JIRA with a patch so
> that someone can apply it?
>
>  Simon

We moved some of these HttpClient 3.1 dependencies to a more current
release in 2.x and while doing that we noticed that the two APIs are
incompatible, so changing in 1.x would require some code changes. I
believe we can do that in all our bindings, but we need to investigate
what are the side effects/hard dependency on this library.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende