I've created a multi-threaded application that uses a
 BaseUIMAAsynchronousEngine_impl  instance per thread. Scaled this up to 100
threads (100 clients). Ran this many times with a single instance of
RoomNumber Annotator service (from uima as examples). No hangs. Can you try
to run your application with a simple UIMA AS service like RoomNumber
Annotator. You can find the deployment descriptor for it in the
UIMA_HOME/examples/deploy/as.Its called Deploy_RoomNumberAnnotator.xml.