On 2/7/2012 10:13 AM, sanjeev.sin...@utoronto.ca wrote:
Hi, I'm using Eclipse IDE for Java Developers 3.7.1 for MAC

I added the url:   http://www.apache.org/dist/uima/eclipse-update-site
to the update mechanism as per 3.1.2. Also added EMF.

I don't see UIMA plug-ins in the directory.

Did you try installing (Eclipse -> Menu -> help -> install new software, etc.)? Did you pick just the Uima runtime and tooling, and *not* the Deployment Descriptor Editor?

The odd thing is when I
browse to  http://www.apache.org/dist/uima/eclipse-update-site/ i get a
safari message "document could not be loaded by browser" as if the site
doesn't exit.

The eclipse update sites are not normally "browsable".  So this is normal.

I then manually copied the "eclipse plug-ins" folder containing 8 jar
files into the "plugins" folder in eclipse.  I still do not see the
uima plug-ins the directory.

This is confusing to me. What directory is it, that you do not see the uima plugins in? If you copied these into the plugins folder in Eclipse, you should see them in that directory.

I can install UIMA examples into the workspace but not the plug-ins.
For example when i try the RoomNumberAnnotator ("my first UIMA
annotator example")  i don't see the "Add UIMA nature" option when i
create the project.

This means the plugins are not installed into Eclipse.  Things to try:

1) restarting eclipse with the -clean option
2) insuring that emf modelling feature is installed (look in the plugins directory - you should see a files having names like org.eclipse.emf.....jar

-Marshall