Something else to look at, in the UIMA Sandbox, is CFE (Configurable Feature
Extractor). There is a presentation with a good overview of what it can do at:
http://www.julielab.de/coling_multimedia/de/downloads/UIMA+WS+2008/sominsky_20080531_talk_CFE.pdf

The user's guide is at:
http://uima.apache.org/d/uima-addons-current/ConfigurableFeatureExtractor/CFE_UG.html

And an LREC paper at: