Not sure I fully understand your problem. In the CPE, the CR runs in its
own thread supplying CASes to processing pipelines.
Cas Consumer(s) run in a dedicated thread(s) as well.
The processingUnitThreadCount property determines scaleout for your AEs
if you set it to say 3, you get 3 processing threads (pipelines) and 3
instances of each AE.

Take a look at this document:
http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-2.3.1/tutorials_and_users_guides.pdf
page 61.

Can you explain this better:
"...this does not work because it only adds the 3 "levels" reading,
analyzing, writing to differnt threads."

- Jerry