Hello,

I have upgraded uima-as to version 2.4.2 but I still encounter an issue with
the wireFormat.maxFrameSize setting for the ActiveMQ broker.
1. I have updated the configuration for transport connector in activemq.xml
file:
<transportConnectors>
            <transportConnector name="openwire"
uri="tcp://127.0.0.1:61616?wireFormat.maxInactivityDuration=0&amp;wireFormat.maxFrameSize=209715200&amp;jms.useCompression=true"/>
</transportConnectors>
2. I have set the brokerURL attribute in uima-as deployment descriptors to
value:
"tcp://127.0.0.1:61616?wireFormat.maxInactivityDuration=0&amp;wireFormat.maxFrameSize=209715200&amp;jms.useCompression=true"
3. I have set the TRACE level for logger org.apache.activemq.transport

After performing all the above settings I noticed that when I started the
pipeline, for each remote delegate, multiple negotiations are performed by
org.apache.activemq.transport.WireFormatNegotiator. All use the maxFrameSize of
200 MB that I specified, except one negotiation that is done using maxFrameSize
of 100 MB.
I do not understand from where does come this limitation of 100 MB. Does exist
in the UIMA client? By default I saw that ActiveMQ is using MAX_LONG for
maxFrameSize so I really don't know from where does come this 100 MB setting
for maxFrameSize.

Does anyone have an idea why is happening this? Could somebody tell me a
starting point for looking in the uima code?

On the other hand does anybody know whether there are some limitations when
using the "binary" serializer for remote delegates instead of "xmi" serializer?
I found in one jira issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-1196)
that for the "binary" serializer is mandatory that all uima AS services use a
common type system. Is this still an issue in uima-as 2.4.2?

Thank you!
Mihaela

On Monday, January 27, 2014 4:30 PM, Eddie Epstein <eaepst...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Thomas Ginter <thomas.gin...@utah.edu>wrote:

> It is likely then that your expansion is happening after the remote
> service is called or else is not yet big enough to be over the 100MB limit.

Also note that by default UIMA-AS [Java] services use a delta-CAS
interface. Only changes to the CAS
are returned from a service.

Besides deleting unnecessary FS from the final CAS to be returned, another
option to consider is to use compression on JMS messages:
jms.useCompression=true
This decoration can be added to the broker configuration file,
   $UIMA_HOME/amq/conf/activemq-nojournal.xml

as
   <transportConnector name="openwire" uri="tcp://
0.0.0.0:61616?jms.useCompression=true"/>
which will cause messages in all queues to be compressed.

Eddie