All you need is a reference to a thread that called sendAndReceive(). Once
you have it, just call <myThread>.interrupt().

I would still like to know more about the timer not working. Is there
anything in the log that shows the UIMA-AS timer expiring?

I just ran a test and the following is in the log:

Jun 12, 2014 10:07:17 AM org.apache.uima.aae.delegate.Delegate$1
Delegate.TimerTask.run
WARNING: Timeout While Waiting For Reply From
Delegate:SlowNoOpAnnotatorQueue1 Process CAS Request Timed Out. Configured
Reply Window Of 1,000. Cas Reference Id:-26e1fb2b:1469067657a:-7ff3
Jun 12, 2014 10:07:17 AM
org.apache.uima.adapter.jms.client.ClientServiceDelegate handleError
WARNING: Process Timeout - Uima AS Client Didn't Receive Process Reply
Within Configured Window Of:1,000 millis
Jun 12, 2014 10:07:17 AM
org.apache.uima.adapter.jms.client.BaseUIMAAsynchronousEngineCommon_impl
notifyOnTimout
WARNING: Request To Process Cas Has Timed-out.  Service
Queue:SlowNoOpAnnotatorQueue1. Broker: tcp://localhost.localdomain:61617
Cas Timed-out on host: 192.168.6.65

Jerry