Ok, so for what it's worth - bindExternalResource() should also have worked
in the way that you used it and it was a bug that it didn't.

So both of these issues are sorted out now:

- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-4425
- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-4426

I can now run your code with "bindResourcesFirst" set to true.
In fact, resourceA must be bound to resourceB before resourceB
is bound to further things.

We're not supposed to expose users to unreleased artifacts...
but if you know how to get the latest uimaFIT from SVN and hook it
up to your code, it wouldn't hurt if you could give the fixes
a spin in your environment.

-- Richard