Hello Marshall,

Thank you very much for your help and answer, sorry I didn't answer before.
Your assupmtions were correct, I downloaded the binary package and I try to
import the uimaj-examples into Eclipse, the problem was exactly the same as
Molly's.

I tried to run them from eclipse, if I run the jars from the command line
they work fine. I did ran the script to adjust the paths, and both the
JAVA_HOME and the UIMA_HOME are set as environment variables. I had already
tried add the uima-tools jar file as a external jar, yet with no results,
I'll try that again.

Anyway what finally worked for me was to download the UIMA source
distibution and build it. I tried building it with maven from command line;
I also imported it as a maven project to build it on Eclipse and they both
seemed to work. I'm now able to run the tools and examples from eclipse.

Again I thank you very much for your help and interest ;)
Lothar