As far as I know, CPE does not work with in-memory descriptors (or I never dug
deep enough). So if you use CPE (e.g. through the uimaFIT CpeBuilder or
otherwise), there is probably some XML serialization of the descriptors
involved.

Anyway, I think that pinpoints the problem pretty precisely and it should be
easy to set up a test case for it. Would you mind opening a Jira with your
findings?

Cheers,

-- Richard