I am not aware of any resource leaks in uimaFIT or UIMA-J either.
Maybe Solr doesn't handle resources in the way you expect? E.g.
queries or documents may have to be closed/returned when they
are no longer needed. You could to generate a heap dump using
JVisualVM to figure our what kind of objects are accumulating.

Cheers,

-- Richard