Hi Richard.
Many thanks!

You explanation really makes things clear, and also answers my question.

I still wonder whether some automatic mechanism can be developed to
automatically generate TypeDescription and TypeSystemDescription directly
from a Java class (under some conditions).
This can shorten the learning curve of UIMA and remove the need for
automatically-generated code, as well as tracking XML files in the
classpath. (Such benefits are actually part of the primary goals of
UimaFIT. Isn't it?)
Though, such a development, even if possible, would not be trivial.