Try adding a callback listener to the client via

public void addStatusCallbackListener(UimaAsBaseCallbackListener aListener)

There is try ... catch block in the client code

} catch (ResourceInitializationException e) {
      state = ClientState.FAILED;
      notifyOnInitializationFailure(e);
      throw e;
    }

which should notify your code of the problem. Are you deploying your
services in
the same process as the application? Or are these services deployed in their
own processes?

Jerry