From: Marshall Schor [mailto:m...@schor.com]
Sent: Monday, March 5, 2018 1:08 PM
To: annou...@apache.org
Cc: uima-user; uima-dev
Subject: Apache UIMA Java sdk 3.0.0 released

The Apache UIMA team is pleased to announce the release of the Apache UIMA Java
SDK, version 3.0.0.  This is the first release of a major re-implementation of
the UIMA Java SDK, aligning it with Java 8 and high performance multi-core
processors.

Apache UIMA <http://uima.apache.org> is a component architecture and framework
for the analysis of unstructured content like text, video and audio data.

This release is a major rewrite of the internals of core UIMA, and includes
many new features, including:
 -- support for arbitrary Java objects in the CAS
 -- New semi-built-in UIMA types: FSArrayList, FSHashSet, IntegerArrayList,
Int2FS map
 -- New "select" framework integrated with Java 8 Streams
 -- Elimination of concurrent modification exception
      while iterating over UIMA indexes
 -- Automatic Garbage Collection of unreferenced Feature Structures
 -- All around better integration into Java 8 idioms and generic typing

See the UIMA News <https://uima.apache.org/news.html#05 Mar 2018>item (
https://uima.apache.org/news.html#05 Mar 2018 ) for more details.

A full description of the new and changed parts is here:
http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-3.0.0/version_3_users_guide.html

This release requires Java 8, and is intended to be backwards compatible with
existing Version 2 pipeline code, except for the need to regenerate or migrate
(tooling provided) user-defined JCas class definitions.

Please send feedback via the Apache UIMA project mailing lists.

 -Marshall Schor, for the Apache UIMA development team