Hi everyone,

I have been having an issue with literal matching for quite some time now. In
the past, I just replaced all literal matching with word lists. In my current
script, however, this would be rather cumbersome.
The error looks like this:

java.lang.NullPointerException: null
        at
org.apache.uima.ruta.rule.RutaLiteralMatcher.getAnnotation(RutaLiteralMatcher.java:72)
        at
org.apache.uima.ruta.rule.RutaLiteralMatcher.getMatchingAnnotations(RutaLiteralMatcher.java:62)
        at
org.apache.uima.ruta.rule.RutaLiteralMatcher.getMatchingAnnotations(RutaLiteralMatcher.java:37)
        at
org.apache.uima.ruta.rule.RutaRuleElement.getAnchors(RutaRuleElement.java:52)
        at
org.apache.uima.ruta.rule.RutaRuleElement.startMatch(RutaRuleElement.java:60)
        at
org.apache.uima.ruta.rule.ComposedRuleElement.startMatch(ComposedRuleElement.java:87)
        at
org.apache.uima.ruta.rule.ComposedRuleElement.startMatch(ComposedRuleElement.java:77)
        at org.apache.uima.ruta.rule.RutaRule.apply(RutaRule.java:65)
        at org.apache.uima.ruta.rule.RutaRule.apply(RutaRule.java:56)
        at org.apache.uima.ruta.rule.RutaRule.apply(RutaRule.java:38)
        at
org.apache.uima.ruta.block.RutaScriptBlock.apply(RutaScriptBlock.java:72)
        at org.apache.uima.ruta.RutaModule.apply(RutaModule.java:56)
        at org.apache.uima.ruta.engine.RutaEngine.process(RutaEngine.java:612)
        ... 11 common frames omitted

So all I know is that something is null. But I have no idea what it could be. I
cannot even reproduce the issue in the Eclipse Workbench: The XMI files that
cause the error work without issue in Eclipse. The error only occurs when
running the CPE with the Ruta component that I created using the Maven plugin.
Hence, I don’t even know what part of my script is causing the error. I have
rules like this:

(WS|"("|"/") (Greek|NUM|Roman) {->MARK(Specifier)} (WS|"("|"/“);

which I think could be the cause. But this is based on the fact that I could
fix the error with word lists until now. Hints and ideas on how to circumvent
this issue are appreciated.

Best,

Erik