On 12/14/06, Tod Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Nathan Bubna wrote:
> and what does your web.xml have?

Sorry, plain vanilla:

   <!-- Define Velocity template compiler -->
   <servlet>
    <servlet-name>velocity</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>
      org.apache.velocity.tools.view.servlet.VelocityViewServlet
    </servlet-class>

    <init-param>
      <param-name>org.apache.velocity.toolbox</param-name>
      <param-value>/WEB-INF/toolbox.xml</param-value>
    </init-param>

    <init-param>
      <param-name>org.apache.velocity.properties</param-name>
      <param-value>/WEB-INF/velocity.properties</param-value>
    </init-param>

    <load-on-startup>10</load-on-startup>
   </servlet>

   <!-- Map *.vm files to Velocity -->
   <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>velocity</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>*.vm</url-pattern>
   </servlet-mapping>

   <!-- Define Velocity template compiler -->

Looks fine.

I've gotten a little further along.  A number of apache.commons jar
files were missing.  Once I copied them over I could see the "Toolbox
setup complete" message in the catalina.log.

yeah, having all the dependencies is rather important.  if you aren't
sure what dependencies you need, unpack the simple.war found in the
velocity distribution and make sure you've got all the ones in the
WEB-INF/lib folder in that war.

some lines before the "Toolbox setup complete" message, there should
have been a message saying "Using config file '<some file path>'"
What is the file used?

Still not getting anything to render using "$import.class.name" or
$import.read("url") though.

This still makes me doubt that the intended toolbox file is the one
being loaded.  Try introducing some bad xml into you toolbox.xml and
see if the application chokes and complains on startup.

Thanks for all of your help.