What version of Velocity are you using?

Do you have the velocity.jar in your WEB-INF/lib directory (or is it in your
container classpath)?

If you use Classpath resource loader, then you can put the template in
WEB-INF/classes.  Note that the template path should not start with a slash.

Velocity always loads VM_global_library.vm when it starts up.  But it
doesn't load it every time.  I suspect this is a red herring.

WILL