Are you referring to Java generics? Or VelocityTools' GenericTools
library?  I'm guessing the the former, as that makes more sense of
your question.

Remember that Java uses generic types at compile time, then erases them:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/java/generics/erasure.html

Since Velocity runs off of runtime reflection, generic info isn't
available.  This means methods that take or return generic types work
fine, but lack the compile-time type-checking.  So, you will be able
to call them with wrong generic types too, which may then lead to
ClassCastExceptions.

So, yeah, it'll work, but Velocity knows nothing of the generic types,
so you should be as careful about types and casting as you would if
those methods didn't use generics.