What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger.

Ok, but seriously, dead means no community.  When a project's
community dies, Apache puts it into the Attic project.   So pretty
much any non-Attic project is not dead.  Velocity has both a large
user community that supports each other both on this list and
stackoverflow.com and a small developer community and thus will not be
going into the Attic anytime soon.  Lack of activity in this case
merely means that no one is highly motivated to work on the next
version much because the current releases (Engine 1.7 and Tools 2.0)
are great for most any templating need.  The projects have reached a
high level of stability and maturity.