You’re intentionally constrained in Solr to a specific set of helpers,
otherwise a template could cause a security concern.  See context objects table
here
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Response+Writers#ResponseWriters-VelocityResponseWriter

<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Response+Writers#ResponseWriters-VelocityResponseWriter>>

If you’re up for some custom Java coding in Solr, you can implement a
SearchComponent that you can put into any search request handler that would put
something into the response object, say a boolean that tells you if the file
exists.  If you need to actually read or write to that file, you could do that
in the SearchComponent as well.

Of course the “FileHelper” idea would work if you hacked the
VelocityResponseWriter code (there is a TODO for me in there to make helpers
pluggable, but this type of request scares me away from making it too easy! :),
but the SearchComponent is a way to get custom data into the response which can
then be leveraged by the Velocity template.  You can also send in custom
request parameters that become part of the request context object as well, in
case that helps here.

But I’m curious - what’s the need here?    It’s a very unusual request for this
type of thing, so I’m concerned you’re trying something that should be done a
different way instead.

—
Erik Hatcher, Senior Solutions Architect
http://www.lucidworks.com <http://www.lucidworks.com/>