It sounds like you have not run the ant task to compile the necessary extra
java file.  When you run this, you will get a derived java file, which will
need to be compiled.  The name of this file will be something like
IHelloWorld$_attributeRepository.java.  It will not work by including the
@@attributes in the javadoc without the accompanying java class.

If you follow the link to
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/attributes/ant_demo.html, this will lead
you through it.  This does work on Java 1.4.

Hope that helps,

Matt