Hi Jacob,

I've added the suggested line:

    private final static String namespace            =
"http://www.bsource.ch/bs";;
    private final static String namespaceDeclaration = "declare namespace bs='"
+ namespace + "';";

    public void setValue (String path, String value) throws BookstoreException
    {
        XmlObject[] elems = null;

        try
        {
                XmlOptions opts = new XmlOptions();
                opts.setSavePrettyPrint();
                opts.setSavePrettyPrintIndent(4);
                System.out.println(document.xmlText(opts));
                elems = document.selectPath(namespaceDeclaration +
"$this/bs:bookstore/book[author='author2']/author");
        }
        catch (Exception e)
        {
                throw new BookstoreException(e.getMessage());
        }

        if (elems.length == 0)
                throw new BookstoreException("no result found for the given
path expression");

The output:

<bs:bookstore xmlns:bs="http://www.bsource.ch/bs";>
    <book>
        <id>1</id>
        <author>author1</author>
        <title>title1</title>
    </book>
    <book>
        <id>2</id>
        <author>author2</author>
        <title>title2</title>
    </book>
</bs:bookstore>
test.BookstoreException: no result found for the given path expression
        at test.Bookstore.setValue(Bookstore.java:74)
        at test.Bookstore.main(Bookstore.java:108)

Regards
Patrizio