Hi Pieter,
You should be able to use this via the extension mechanism avaiable
with version 2.2 and later. Here is the blurb from teh release:
Extensions - You can now add custom functionality to generated
XMLBeans. You can pass to the Schema Compiler 1) an interface that
defines the set of methods to implement and 2) a static handler that
implements this functionality. The generated classes will implement
the interface and, for each method, call out to the static handler.

I found teh following references online in case you needed more information:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlbeans/ExtensionInterfacesFeature

http://dev2dev.bea.com/pub/a/2004/05/XMLBeans_raj.html
http://dev2dev.bea.com/pub/a/2004/11/Configuring_XMLBeans.html

Best of luck,