On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Jacob Danner wrote:
I'm not sure I completely understand the issue, are you trying to write out many standalone xml instances that all comprise a larger xml instance?

Sort of. You basically have a zip file which contains a dozen or so inter-related xml files, and some metadata. The snag is that when you've opened an xml document, it doesn't have any information on where it came from.

So, in order to be able to write things back out again, you need to track which part of the zip file each document came from. While this isn't impossible, it is a bit of faff, especially on larger documents which have large numbers of parts.

This led me to wonder if it wouldn't be possible to pass an object into the xml factory, from which you could get the inputstream to create it, and the outputstream to write it, and then not worry about tracking all that myself. The base xmlbeans object would just keep a reference to the interface that provides getInputStream and getOutputStream, and a call to write wouldn't need us to go and find the same part of the zip file we created it from.

Not sure if it's a common enough problem to warrant an extension to xmlbeans though? I'd be happy to try and knock up a patch if you think it might be useful enough to get applied though (with a flag to turn it on of course, so we don't change things for people who don't need this)

Nick