I'm not sure how the type is defined, but aren't there getters and
setters or something like intValue() to get this.

You are seeing this because getM() returns some kind of type
associated with xml (element in this case) and not some kind of java
primitive.
The docs explain things far better than I can
(http://xmlbeans.apache.org/documentation/index.html) take a peek and
let the list know if you have any questions.

HTH,
-jacobd