Hi Heather,
I'm not sure this is the best mailing list for your question as its
pretty specific to a particular set of technologies related to XML
Schema and java technologies.

I haven't ever used CSS with XML, only with HTML, but they work
roughly the same. CSS is just used to apply styling to an XML
instance. I would  think it better to use CSS3 as it is the latest
emerging standard

A good intro to XML is available via the standards body W3C at:
http://www.w3.org/standards/xml/core

Information on CSS is available from w3c as well
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/learning

XPath is a standard to refer to locations within an xml instance.
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath/

If you did mean HTML, I like HTML5rocks.com

While not completely standards conforming, there is a pretty simple
explanation of using all of these technologies on
http://www.w3schools.com
Others from the list may have other recommendations for coming up to
speed with these technologies.
HTH,
-jacobd