Hi Peter,

You're right, I came across that table recently since I've been working at
this problem most of the day. Let me share one more thing I've discovered.
It appears that XMLBeans has always been ignoring my namespace prefixes. In
URL form, it will use the last "token" and in URN form, it will use the
first:

xmlns:aaa="http://test.example.com/TOKEN";
xmlns:bbb="TOKEN:xxx:yyy:zzz"

In other words, the declared (xmlns:...) prefixes above are never honored.
In both cases, TOKEN will end up being the prefix. I thought this had
worked before because my old namespace was:

xmlns:aaa="http://test.example.com/aaa";

Changing the trailing "aaa" in the URL will change the prefix in the
generated document.

So why do I need the same prefix?

Our application is transitioning from version X to version X.1.
Our customer has requested a namespace change to URN form.
We have extensive documentation and screen shots that show the old prefix.
We also have XPath statements scattered throughout our application that
reference the old prefix.
It was believed that it would be far less of a hassle to correct the prefix
than it would to correct all our documentation and XPath statements.

In our application, when a user creates a new instance of the document, it
uses Factory.newInstance() which results in a document with the wrong
namespace. Like a lot of other applications (Word, Excel, etc.), our files
reside "in memory" until they are saved. So a new document would carry the
wrong prefix until it was saved. Even after it was saved, it would have to
be reloaded by the application to have the correct prefix "in-memory." Our
application also has the ability to digitally sign documents. Signing one
prefix, then saving another causes the signature to break.

So the options are starting to look like this:
1. Figure out why XMLBeans doesn't honor my xmlns:... declarations.
2. Change the namespace URN to start with the desired prefix. Obviously,
this is a workaround.
3. Use the new prefix and change everything else to suit.

So I guess my first question (in this email at least) is does XMLBeans ever
try to honor xmlns prefix declarations? If so, what's wrong with the schema
I posted that causes this not to happen? Can anyone get the schema I
previously posted to use the aaa prefix as declared?

Michael